Sunday, October 10, 2004

Toy Story Sequels

Boy, the so-called "mainstream" news outlets have been picking up the "news" about TS sequels that are going to be done by Disney in the coming years (assuming that Disney and Pixar do not get back together).

This late breaking news makes me wonder if people have had their heads in the sand for the last 6 or more months. Folks, this isn't new. Disney's Toy Story plans have been going on for a long time. So long in fact, they have had office space built out (still being finished), they hired writers long ago for a story bake-off, and they have been searching for directors to head the project.

It appears that finding the director is not as easy as they had hoped. Last I have heard, they still haven't found someone. These guys are very reluctant. They know that directing this project may reflect badly upon them. I'm sure they will find someone, because there are a lot of people out there that would love to make a Toy Story film. But, for now... The search goes on.


What are my feelings on this whole TS sequel situation? Well, I can't say I'm fond of the sequels that Disney pours out. But you cannot argue with the returns they are bringing in. It only makes business sense. I am much happier that Disney is doing a feature sequel rather than a DTV sequel.

And most of all, I'm happy that it is being done in the United States and not being outsourced.

No comments: