Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Incredibles

I had the opportunity to see "The Incredibles" last week from Pixar. I don't want to give any spoilers or anything, but I will say a few things.

Finding Nemo (last Pixar film) was a letdown in my eyes. The story was boring and I just couldn't get into it. The ending was a total cop out. But that was that, and this is this. Incredibles is much better.

This is quite a departure from their usual films. I think you can thank Brad Bird for that. Up until now, Pixar's stories were starting to get too familiar. I think it was a good idea to bring in an outsider to create and direct a picture. Inject a little bit of variety into their work. I hope they keep doing this on future projects.

It seemed like a good match. Brad gets to do a film of his own that will be supported fully (unlike Iron Giant). And Pixar will gain a new director that would break them out of their mold and offer something different.

When Brad showed up, it seemed that everyone in the studio wanted to drop what they were doing to work with Brad "iron giant" Bird. But, it seems that the new director had other ideas. Brad not only came up from LA, but he brought up several people he is familiar working with to get work on the pre-production. As someone not completely familiar with the CG animation world, Brad made a lot of demands that drove the technical crew crazy. Eventually comprimises were made, or the techs figured out solutions and it came together.

Not my usual controversial blog entries. Sorry. Just don't have the energy at the moment. I'll save the bitching for another time. I need some breakfast.

No comments: