Monday, October 11, 2004

"Shark Tale" Remains #1

In its second week out in the theatres, Shark Tale still sits at the #1 one spot. Grossing Approximately $31MM this week for a total of $78MM.

There seems to be a hell bent attitude from the animation community hoping for DreamWorks to fail. If you tune into places such as AnimationNation.com or many other bulletin boards, an overly obnoxious amount of posters are anti-DreamWorks. I'm not sure where the venom comes from. There must be some major hatred for Katzenburg.

Maybe these people just hate to see a film like Shrek and Shark Tale be successful. DreamWorks seems to be taking a different route to story and it just isn't going over very well with a lot of people in the industry. I'm not exactly fond of the constant references made to products, other movies, and music, and, and, and. But, it seems to be going over with the public and I tend to enjoy the films. Most telling are the box office returns. That says it all.

So, until DreamWorks starts getting back into the dud category with their animated movies, you can expect more of the same.


My review of the film... I wasn't blown away by the story, it certainly wasn't the best thing I've seen in the last few years. However, it was a good time and I enjoyed myself. Again, I could do without the constant references to products and other movies, but it was an enjoyable.

On a technical level. The lighting was simple and sometimes flat, but other times looked very nice. Not very consistant. The animation had some really brilliant moments but also displayed some really half-assed attempts. I'm not sure if it was a problem with time, or a reflection of the talent (probably the former). I know there are some really good guys animating on this project, but it just didn't show throughout the whole picture