Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Pixar and Disney

Another few weeks have gone by without a post. I've tried to find some time to blog, however I couldn't manage to slip it in. I'll probably be late to the office this morning, but I'm in one of those moods were I don't really care... Let's talk about the Pixar / Disney situation... continued...

There is still all sorts of guessing going around about the Pixar / Disney relationship. How Iger will mend the fence and make everything fine. Personally, I don't think it will happen. Disney is getting itself in a position where they can branch off and away from Pixar with their own CG films that have good stories. I'm not convinced that Chicken Little is that movie. However, their projects a little further down the line have some hope. With that said, I do think that Steve Jobs is willing to bend over further than anyone thinks and possible a deal can be struck with an Iger run Disney. Rumor is that Jobs is asking way too much from potential distributors and he is not getting as warm of a reception as everyone predicted long ago. To me the time that has gone by speaks volumes. If distributors were truly lining up to work with Pixar (willing to meet their demands), a deal would of probably already been struck. I think Jobs will have to pull back on the reigns a little bit.

There is also a lot of rumor going around that the Toy Story 3 project was setup to simply be a bargaining chip for the Disney/Pixar relationship. I don't really see it that way. I think the TS3 project could be folded under the right circumstances., but I just don't believe it was created with that in mind. I know Disney can be really stupid sometimes, but creating a studio, building it out, hiring directors that cost millions, writers, management, execs, artists, doesn't sound like a bargaining chip. I know Disney has wasted millions of dollars before on stupid ideas and on failures, but Disney sees the dollars that TS sequels will bring. I don't think this was a ploy.


No comments: